Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Transportation Cost (New Distance Fare)

New distance fare will be implemented from 03/July, and the online fare calculator are now available at PublicTransport@SG.

After comparing my new transport fee, I'm not sure whether I should be happy or dissapointed...

Current Fare | Distance Fare |Changes | %
MRT Journey: $1.72 | $1.82 | + $0.10 | 5.81% |
Shuttle Bus btw Home & MRT: $0.19* | $0.02 | - $0.17 | - |
Total: $1.91 | $1.84 | - $0.07 | -3.66% |
* after $0.50 transfer rebate

By looking at the final figure, I should be happy and satisfied with the new fare system because I save $0.07 per journey to/from office. Assuming 2 trips a day and 20 working days a month, my monthly savings would be $2.80 which is equal a plate of mixed rice with 1 meat and 2 vege.

But the dark side of this fare to my case is, purely the fare for the mrt journey has been increase significant by 5.81%. if I opt for healthier way by walking to mrt station instead of taking shuttle bus, theoretically I will suffer an addition $4/month ($0.10 x 2 trips x 20 wd) on my transportation cost.

While transport company is suffering a loss in fare reduction in shuttle service, it has to make a higher profit in other ways to cover this small losses as fare for shuttle service become so low that i think it's hard to cover its cost. Alternatively, shuttle service frequencies may be reduced or worse been cancelled.

No comments: